Posted on Jan 10 2018
WASHINGTON – U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, today offered a resolution highlighting the value of the bilateral relationship between the United States and Mexico. Flake’s resolution points out the mutually beneficial nature of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the coordinated efforts of U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials to combat multinational organized crime, and the Mexican government’s role in blocking migrants attempting to enter the United States illegally via Mexico.
“Whether it is the approximately $525 billion in trade, the assistance in stemming the tide of illegal immigration, or the coordinated capture and extradition of dangerous drug kingpins, the relationship between the United States and Mexico is one of the most important and most successful we have,” said Flake. “As the administration reviews NAFTA, they must recognize the incredible value of the United States’ bilateral relationship with Mexico.”
To view the full text of the resolution, click here.
- On Aug. 14, 2017, Flake sent a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer highlighting Arizona’s priorities for the upcoming negotiations to strengthen and modernize NAFTA. To view the full text of the letter, click here.
- On July 24, 2017, Flake continued his NAFTA4AZ initiative by sharing personal stories of Arizonans whose lives have been positively impacted by NAFTA. Video and a transcript of Flake’s remarks can be viewed here.
- On May 31, 2017, Flake announced the launch of NAFTA4AZ. To view Flake’s video announcement, click here.
- On May 15, 2017, Flake and Sen. Deb. Fischer (R-Neb.) led a letter from 18 senators to Lighthizer stressing the positive economic impact of NAFTA. To view the full text of the letter, click here.
- On April 27, 2017, Flake spoke on the Senate floor outlining the economic benefits of NAFTA for businesses and consumers. To view the speech, click here.
- On Jan. 31, 2017, Flake, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), and Arizona Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Glenn Hamer wrote an op-ed for the Arizona Republic on the economic benefits of NAFTA. To read the op-ed, click here.